Tuesday, 17 March 2015

New Aladdin Topic for the Term

This term we are using Aladdin as a stimulus for our writing. To start off our topic we watched the market scene in Aladdin then we split into partners and started to adapt the market scene as a play script. We wrote what Aladdin might be thinking and what he was feeling. Here are two examples:





Luckily, I got away from the ugly, grim guards. Suddenly I heard loud music from the street and I became worried and a bit confused. I ran down the dirty cramped back paths until I reached the main street. I saw a prince riding a giant horse. Then I saw the children kneeling on the floor protecting their faces. Courageously, I jumped in front of the prince’s horse. Aggressively, the prince drew his deadly, brown whip then……. 

By Jonathan



I was feeling really excited when I quickly skidded under the building. The guards were chasing me, it was just a thrill. We finally escaped and went to eat. Abu and I saw the small children, I decided to give them my bread because I thought they must be so sad and starving. Abu was very reluctant but evidently gave his bread away. Then we heard booming trumpets, a new suitor had arrived for the princess. I quickly pushed the children away, they were about to be run over by a horse. The prince said, "Get out the way you worthless street-rat"... 

By Emeric


Here is an example of a play script from a year 6 student.




Characters in order of appearance:
·         Aladdin
·         Chief Guard
·         2 other guards
·         Abu (monkey)
·         Chatting women

·         More guards
·         Young malnourished children
·         Townspeople
·         Prince on white stallion (suitor to the princess)
                     

Act 1 Scene 1 – Marketplace  

(On a three storey roof, which was extremely precarious, a chief guard and 2 other guards unsheathe their swords, walk cautiously towards Aladdin with fierce expressions on their faces.)


Chief Guard: (Fiercely waving swords at Aladdin) We’re going to catch you and slit your throat.


Aladdin:  (Sarcastically) Good luck! All this for a loaf of delicious bread?


(Aladdin bounds onto a rope and slides down onto stage. Guards peer over roof.)


Guard 2: (angrily & loudly) We will kill you!!


Guard 3: (shouting) It’s not over!!


Aladdin: (laughing) I’m counting on it…


(Aladdin struts over to the chatting ladies, covers himself in a sheet to make him less perceptible)

Lady 1: (mockingly) In trouble this early, Aladdin?


Aladdin: You’re only in trouble if you get caught.


(Guard shout insults and picks him up by his shirt)

Guard 1: Come ‘ere riff raff!


Aladdin: Now I’m in trouble.


(Abu saves the day by leaping on the guard's head, knocking him down.)

By Archie and Finn







No comments:

Post a Comment